Reports of the Samsung Galaxy Note Seven catching fire are spreading. There have been more than 30 cases so far. Airlines have even put the device on a list of items passengers aren’t allowed to use on planes. And the company has issued a recall for the problematic devices, but not everyone knows about it yet, which is how this happened.
[Scroll Down for Video]
Nathan Dornacher from St Petersburg, Florida was charging phone in his Jeep Grand Cherokee when the device caught fire. He’d left the Jeep running while he went inside to pick up his little girl and their dog. When he came back out moments later, the Jeep was on fire.
Dornacher had not heard about the recall on his Samsung Note7 phone. In fact, he’d bought the phone just five days before it caught fire.
Samsung issued a worldwide recall after battery issues began causing phones to catch fire or explode.
“I left it running with the AC on to keep the car cool as we were planning on grabbing the dog and heading to Petco,” Dornacher said.
“I went back out to the car to grab my phone which was on the charger (me and Lydia always fight over the house charger), went to open the door and saw flames inside.”
“I opened the door and the car is engulfed. I ran inside to get extinguisher and of course it’s not to be found. I yelled at Lydia to call Fire Department and here is the end result.”
Dorancher’s vehicle was insured, but the Jeep had been a labor of love for him, and he’d put in thousands in upgrades, for which he won’t be reimbursed.
Samsung knows about this fire, and are having the cause investigated. The company is reported to be providing assistance to the family.
“For customers who already have Galaxy Note7 devices, we will voluntarily replace their current device with a new one over the coming weeks,” Samsung said in a statement.
“We acknowledge the inconvenience this may cause in the market but this is to ensure that Samsung continues to deliver the highest quality products to our customers. We are working closely with our partners to ensure the replacement experience is as convenient and efficient as possible.”