News

Woman Killed Instantly After Dropping Her Charging Phone into the Bath

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr

A woman was found dead in the bathtub in her apartment by her mother, who went to her home after growing worried when she was unable to reach her daughter by phone. Investigators determined that the woman was killed instantly when her charging phone slipped and landed in her bathwater, causing her to be electrocuted.

Evgenia Shulyatyeva, a 26-year-old accountant, was found dead in her apartment in Kirovo-Chepetsk, Russia, a town located about 500 miles from Moscow. According to a report by the Daily Mail, Shulyatyeva’s 56-year-old mother, Vera, discovered her body.

The Russian Investigative Committee is looking into the circumstances surrounding her death. It isn’t yet clear whether Shulyatyeva was actively using her phone or if it was merely nearby and happened to fall into the water.

Shulyatyeva’s funeral is scheduled to take place on Wednesday.

Friend’s of the deceased posted messages about Shulyatyeva online. “Sister … rest in peace …. sleep well …. you are forever in our hearts … Call me tomorrow, say that was a just a dream, that this is not the truth,” wrote one.

“You were so bright …Sleep well….” Said another.

Shulyatyeva is the eighth Russian whose death was attributed to dropping a charging cell phone into a bathtub.

While the government has issued warnings regarding the possibility of electrocution, not everyone seemingly understands the risks.

Andy Stanovsky, an electronics engineer, warned that “relaxing in a bathroom with your mobile phone plugged is like playing Russian roulette.”

Yury Agrafonov, the Irkutsk State University radio-electronic department head, said, “Water is a good conductor.”

“This is why there was a short circuit when the phone fell into the water,” Agrafonov continued. “If the phone had not been plugged in to 220 volts, the tragedy would not have happened.”