A 27-year-old woman was supposed to be on a saline drip following a routine surgery. Instead, it was discovered that she had been given formaldehyde, a component used for embalming dead bodies to prevent rapid decomposition. The mother of the woman is now calling the doctors responsible for the blunder “murderers.”
Ekaterina Fedyaeva, who lives in Russia, was in excruciating pain and had convulsions for two days until she went into a coma.
According to the Daily Mail, she was then flown to a top Moscow hospital where they put her on life support. After a short period of time, Fedyaeva came out of her coma only to die hours later of multiple organ failures.
Galina Baryshnikova, the mother of Ekaterina, recalled the moment she realized that something was very wrong with her daughter.
“Her legs were moving, she had convulsions, her whole body was shaking,” she said. “I put socks on her, then a robe, then a blanket but she was shivering to such an extent, I can’t even describe it.”
Baryshnikova had no idea that her daughter had been given formaldehyde instead of a saline drip. She has since claimed that the doctors looking after her daughter knew exactly what they did and how serious it was, but still, they did nothing.
“And they knew very well that they washed up her body with a poison – and they did nothing to help. Now I understand that formalin was simply eroding her body from inside, she said. “People who performed the surgery already knew that they infused something wrong.”
From Baryshnikova’s account, the doctors were dismissive of her growing concerns. “I begged – ‘please help her, she is my only child,'” she pleaded. “I think they just wanted me to go away and to hide everything.”
After growing tired of their excuses, Baryshnikova approached a group of doctors and overheard them “discussing how to tell us that a terrible mistake had been made.”
Once her daughter passed, she spoke to a criminal investigator who agreed that the doctors acted negligently. Baryshnikova, however, isn’t buying neglect. She says what they did to her daughter was “pure murder.”
A criminal investigation is ongoing into how a medical blunder such as this could happen.