The latest bomb went off Sunday evening and injured two men who were riding by on their bicycles. Police warned residents of the neighborhood to stay indoors while they brought in the bomb squad and bomb sniffing dogs to scour for other explosives. Though none were found, the city remains gripped in fear.
Earlier in the month, three separate explosions resulted from package bombs. This latest bomb was triggered by a trip wire.
The blast occurred at 8:30pm in a southwestern Austin residential neighborhood known as Travis Country.
The first bombs all seemed to target African Americans. This bomb injured two white men.
Austin Police Chief Brian Manley indicates that the police have reason to believe that the blasts are all related.
“It is very possible that this device was activated by someone either handling, kicking or coming in contact with a tripwire that activated the device,” Chief Manley said at a press conference Monday.
“We do believe, based on what we have seen, that it was a bomb that exploded.”
“We do not believe that this was, as previously, a package left on doorstep, but that this was some type of suspicious package that was left on the side of the road and that detonated and injured these two men.”
“We are working under the belief that they are connected to the previous bombings.”
Police locked down the area and advised residents to stay indoors and off the street until at least 10:00am.
“We want to put out the message that we’ve been putting out and that is, not only do not touch any packages or anything that looks like a package, do not even go near it at this time,” Manley said.
Chief Manley held a press conference earlier in the day, before Sunday’s bombing. “These events in Austin have garnered worldwide attention, and we assure you that we are listening,” he said.
“We want to understand what brought you to this point, and we want to listen to you.”
“There’s the message behind what’s happening in our community, and we’re not going to understand that until the suspect or suspects reaches out to us to talk to us about what that message was,” he added.
“We still do not know what ideology may be behind this and what the motive was behind this.”
In addition to the injured, Anthony Stephan House, 39, was killed on March 2. Draylen Mason, 17, was killed in the explosion on March 12.
The reward for information is now $115,000.