Shooter Ambushes Police with AR-15. He Isn’t Ready for What Comes Next. [VIDEO]

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr

A shooting Friday night in a residential neighborhood escalated quickly. After responding to a 911 call about gunshots, police officers walked into a ambush. The shooter opened fire with a rifle, and then a shotgun. The incident stretched out until SWAT officers found an opportunity to eliminate the threat.

The incident occurred in Evansville, Indiana at 9:00 p.m. Friday night.

“I’m pretty sure our neighbor shot a gun, and he just took off running,” a woman told a 911 operator.

The officers who responded were looking for an armed assailant, a man later identified as 51-year-old Barry Freeman.

“What’s he got in his hand?” one officer asks as they approached Freeman.

“Let’s see your hands, brother,” the other officer told Freeman.

The footage shows the chaos that ensued. Freeman didn’t show his hands. Instead, he retreated a bit and began shooting. Both officers ran for cover.

“A second later,” Blue Lives Matter writes, “Freeman appeared at the bottom of the frame with a rifle raised to his right shoulder. He waited by a vehicle in ambush before he made his way to the corner of a nearby building, and watched the area the officers had run towards.”

“Mr. Freeman was concealed in darkness and as you can see he moved on at a regular basis,” Evansville Police Sgt. Jason Cullum said. “We were told by his son while this event was unfolding that he had prior military experience and based on some of his movements it appeared he was using some training that he may have received.”

During the stand off, cars drove by. Freeman could have easily fired on them, but he didn’t. When other police officers arrived on scene, he did fire at them.

He fired multiple rounds from his AR-15, then switched to a shotgun.

One of the man’s neighbors, Jeffrey Kempf, 56, was fatally shot by Freeman. Kempf was reportedly trying to help other neighbors get away from the gunfire when he was shot.

“We think Freeman believed he was shooting at a police officer, not his neighbor,” the police said.

SWAT Officer Kyle Thiry, of the Evansville Police, fired two rounds from 60 yards out. Both hit Freeman in the chest.

“Officer Thiry is credited with ending Mr. Freeman’s rampage that night,” Sgt. Cullum told ABC News on Tuesday. “That is a testament to the skill and the calmness that Officer Thiry displayed that night in bringing peace back to that neighborhood.”

Despite his injuries, he continued to fire. Police were able to capture him after his wounds incapacitated him.

Freeman died at the hospital.