Security Footage Shows Football Coach Disarming Student Before Giving Him a Hug [VIDEO]

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr

On May 17, a potential mass shooting attempt at Parkrose High School was thwarted by the school’s football, track and field coach who was a former University of Oregon wide receiver. It was originally reported that the former NCAA player tackled the would-be shooter to the ground, but footage from that fateful day showed a different story.

Keanon Lowe showed up to work thinking the school day would be like any other, but he soon discovered this day would be anything but ordinary. It all changed when a student, Angel Granados-Diaz, appeared in the doorway of his classroom with a loaded shotgun.

Lowe lunged for the shotgun and wrestled it away from the then 18-year-old. Instead of tackling the troubled teen to the ground, Lowe held the shotgun in one hand and hugged Granados-Diaz with the other.

Another teacher can be seen on surveillance video running to get help before coming back to retrieve the shotgun and move it to a safer area. With both his hands free, Lowe embraced Granados-Diaz and held him tightly as the two shared a moment.

Granados-Diaz tries to break away at one point, but Lowe holds him tighter. Granados-Diaz is seen crying as he is being held.

“Then it was just me and that student. It was a real emotional time. It was emotional for him, it was emotional for me,” Lowe told KATU back in May. “In that time, I felt compassion for him. A lot of times, especially when you’re young, you don’t realize what you’re doing until it’s over.”

Portland Police Sergeant Brad Yakots touted Lowe as a hero for his quick-acting. “This was a best-case scenario,” Yakots said. “The staff members from all accounts did an excellent job.”

Granados-Diaz, who is now 19 years old, was facing a mental health crisis at the time of the ordeal, ABC News reported.

Granados-Diaz pleaded guilty to one count of unlawful possession of a firearm in a public building and one count of unlawful possession of a loaded firearm in public. He was sentenced to three years probation.