Retired Fire Chief Arrested For Not Moving His Car After He Saved A Crash Victim’s Life

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr

Emory Rickerson was driving down the road when he noticed a car crash. Rickerson, a former fire chief, stopped to assist one of the injured drivers. After doing his good deed for the day, he headed back to his vehicle where he was arrested for what law enforcement claim was a refusal to remove his vehicle from the scene.

The retired Georgia fire chief recalled the crash when he spoke to WSBTV, a local Atlanta news station. “The car hit a culvert and flipped end-over-end. It was [a] very violent impact.” After such a violent impact, Rickerson felt it was his civic duty to make sure the women in the vehicle was alright.

As he approached the driver side door, Rickerson noticed the woman was slumped over and not breathing, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported.

Fellow emergency personnel came on the scene and acknowledged that Rickerson may have provided life-saving assistance to the injured driver. Did he get thanks? Nope, he was then arrested by local law enforcement.

The arresting officer, Sgt. R.S. Jeter wrote in his arrest report that he instructed Rickerson to move his car multiple times so paramedics could better assist the injured women. In the same report, Jeter wrote that Rickerson was quoted to have said: “I don’t care who you are. You can take me to jail, but I’m not moving my vehicle or leaving this patient right now.”

Jeter highlighted in his report that Rickerson was becoming “belligerent and kept talking over” the troopers who were on scene trying to make sure everyone was okay.

According to Fox News, Rickerson was arrested for obstruction of justice regarding his failure to remove his vehicle from the roadway after he was instructed to do so multiple times.

Rickerson says he plans on fighting the charges filed against him and said, “If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn’t change anything,” he told WSB-TV. “I would still take care of that patient.”

Local law enforcement involved in the incident have yet to respond to Rickerson’s recollection of the incident.