Pedophile Priest Shot Dead. Victims Dad Accused of Hiring Hitman

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr

Revelations about child abuse allegations in the Catholic Church have come in waves. For decades now, The Vatican has tried to assure the faithful that the problem has been rooted out, and that the guilty have been dealt with. Then a new wave breaks and the inefficacy of the Church’s discipline becomes transparent.

One parent wasn’t satisfied with the justice that rarely seems to follow instances of abuse. He found a much more solution. Now police are investigating him and have accused him of hiring a hitman to kill a priest that was accused of abusing the man’s daughters.

The priest, Giuseppe Matarazzo (below), was sent to prison for his crimes. He spent 11 years and six months behind bars after he was convicted of sexually abusing two sisters during his tenure as a pastor in Benevento, Italy.

One of those girls, according to local media reports, committed suicide in 2008. She was just 15 at the time.

When the priest was released, the authorities allege, the father was waiting.

“The 45-year-old was released from prison last year, but was killed in Frasso Telesino – a village in the province of Benevento – just weeks later. His body was found in July with five gunshot wounds, two of which were fatal,” Unilad writes.

The hit seems almost cliche for fans of Italian-American mob stories. The priest was killed “on commission,” chief prosecutor Aldo Policastro.

“A suspicious car was spotted near Sant’Agata de ‘Goti shortly before the murder, and investigators also reportedly found a 3.56 magnum pistol, which is being checked by experts to determine if it’s the murder weapon,” Unilad writes.

30-year-old Generoso Nasta and 55-year-old Giuseppe Massaro have been arrested on suspicion of the murder. They being held by the Carabinieri for questioning.

Massaro is accused of providing the car and the logistics for the hit. Nasta is believed to have supplied the gun and acted as the driver.

Both of the men had been underemployed for years, but police took notice of them when they began spending much more freely. They are still looking for a third suspect, the one they believe pulled the trigger.