New Information Emerges about Austin Bomber

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr

Mark Anthony Conditt, 23, the man believed to be behind a string of fatal bombings, died early Wednesday morning in a standoff with police. Though SWAT officers sought a peaceful end to the attacks, Conditt detonated two bombs inside his vehicle on the side of I-35. Officers then fired on the vehicle. Now, a profile of the bomber is solidifying.

“Police believe Conditt, who previously worked as a computer repair technician, made all the bombs himself,” The Daily Mail writes. “Shocked neighbors described Conditt as a quiet, studious young man who came from a good family.”

“Conditt was home-schooled growing up before graduating from Austin Community College. He had purchased a property in the Austin suburb of Pflugerville last year and neighbors told the Statesman that he had been living in that home prior to the bombings.”

Facebook postings from the time of his graduation painted Conditt as religious. His mother noted he was taking time off, and was even considering a mission trip. The image above is from that time.

“I officially graduated Mark from High School on Friday,” his mother posted. “1 down, 3 to go. He has 30 hrs of college credit too, but he’s thinking of taking some time to figure out what he wants to do….maybe a mission trip. Thanks to everyone for your support over the years.”

Conditt has three sisters, too, all younger.

Authorities are now conducting interviews and searching his residence in hopes of finding more about the bomber’s motive. Agents (above) were seen outside of Conditt’s house, Wednesday morning, taking no chances.

Agents were also at his parents’ house, not far away.

Police surrounded Conditt 18 miles north of Austin, shortly after 2:00 am. He was in a car at the time, parked outside of a hotel. It now appears that he may have anticipated his arrest. When the police arrived, he drove away.

“Police found the suspect sitting in his car and called for backup,” The Daily Mail writes. “While waiting for reinforcements to arrive the man began driving away, forcing them to confront him on a frontage road leading to the I-35 freeway.”

Police Chief Brian Manley said the man had been tied to 5 bombings, and one device that was intercepted before it exploded.

CCTV footage taken at a FedEx office in Austin showed Conditt dropping off two packages around 7:30 pm on Sunday. It was one of these packages that would later explode in the FedEx center outside of San Antonio.

The suspect was already acting unusually, as he entered the center wearing latex gloves.

Once the time and location were known, cell phone data allowed the team of investigators to track the suspect. Police are still searching for a motive. They’ve acknowledged that the suspect wasn’t known to law enforcement.

Daily Mail published a concise timeline of the events.

Timeline of Texas package bomb attacks:

March 2: Anthony Stephan House, 39, is killed when a package blows up at 6.55am at his home on the 1100 block of Haverford Drive.

6.44am on March 12: Draylen Mason, 17, is killed and his mother is seriously injured in a package explosion in their kitchen on the 4800 block of Oldfort Hill Drive.

11.50am on March 12: Esperanza Herrera, 75, is severely injured in a package explosion while visiting her mother’s home on the 6700 block of Galindo Street.

March 18: Two men in their 20s are seriously injured by a trip wire explosion on a sidewalk near the 4800 block of Dawn Song Drive.

Around 12.01am March 20: One man is injured in a FedEx facility in San Antonio when a package ‘containing nails and pieces of metal’ bound for Austin explodes. Wounded employee is taken to hospital with minor injuries.

6.19am March 20: Bomb squad responds to a FedEx sorting facility at 4117 McKinney Falls Parkway. An unexploded package bomb is secured. Police confirm it is connected.

I-35, where the standoff with the police occurred, has been closed in both directions pending the investigation.