On Saturday afternoon, at least one gunman was shot and killed after opening fire on people in the Midland-Odessa, Texas area. The gunman was traveling in a vehicle and reportedly firing while driving. Police have stated that the active shooter threat ended at about 5:30 pm local time, indicating that the gunman was killed at Cinergy.
The gunman was, according to a report by NBC News, traveling in a vehicle along various roadways in Odessa. Around 20 people were shot by the gunman. One of the injured is a state trooper.
Law enforcement has stated that at least five people were killed by the shooter.
“It has been confirmed that the active shooter was shot and killed at the Cinergy in Odessa,” wrote Odessa police on Facebook. “There is no active shooter at this time.”
Initially, two suspects were being sought by law enforcement. One was driving a “gold/white small Toyota truck” while the second was in a “USPS Postal Van” that was reportedly hijacked.
Local postal vehicles were pulled from the roadway in an attempt to make it easier for officers while they were searching for that suspect.
A Texas Department of Safety official, according to a report by ABC 7, said that a shooter was in custody. It isn’t clear if this may be a second gunman or if the official was referring to the suspect who was killed.
Here's a video from the shooting in Odessa, Texas. Video courtesy of Alex Woods on Facebook. pic.twitter.com/iwF31o5MMy
— Chad Baker (@ChadBlue_) August 31, 2019
The shooter was reportedly killed at the Cinergy Movie Theater in Odessa. The identity of the deceased gunman has not yet been revealed. However, police have stated that he is a white male in his mid-30s.
President Donald Trump confirmed on Twitter that he had been briefed about the shooting.
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott also released a statement.
“The First Lady and I are heartbroken over this senseless and cowardly attack, and we offer our unwavering support to the victims, their families, and all the people of Midland and Odessa,” said Abbott.
“The state of Texas and the Department of Public Safety are working closely with local law enforcement to provide resources as needed and deliver justice for this heinous attack. I thank the first responders who have acted swiftly and admirably under pressure, and I want to remind all Texans that we will not allow the Lone Star State to be overrun by hatred and violence. We will unite, as Texans always do, to respond to this tragedy.”