Man Shouting “Allahu Akbar” Commits Mass Stabbing on the Streets of Sydney [VIDEO]

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr

A man with a history of mental illness went on a knife-wielding rampage Tuesday. He is responsible for reportedly killing a 21-year-old woman before being subdued by multiple bystanders. Authorities do not think this was terrorist-related, despite witnesses reports that the man yelled “Allahu Akbar.” An investigation is ongoing to determine if the man escaped from a mental hospital.

[Scroll Down For Multiple Videos]

Mert Ney, a 21-year-old from Blacktown, reportedly slit a 21-year-old woman’s throat who was later found inside her apartment. Another woman was also stabbed in the back down the road from the first incident but is expected to survive, police reported.

With blood on his hoodie, Ney then proceeded into an intersection where he stood on top of a black Mercedes and shouted at the gathering crowd as he held up a large knife.

Bystanders in the area begin to take up arms with various items such as a milk crate and a chair from a nearby restaurant. Realizing he was outnumbered, Nay can be seen in a short video fleeing the area before he was apprehended by three British good Samaritans.

New South Wales Police Minister David Elliot commended the three heroes for acting “well and truly beyond the call of any citizen,” BBC reported.

Lee Cuthbert, Paul O’Shaughnessy and Luke O’Shaughnessy all heard the commotion at the intersection and went outside to find Nay waving a knife around in a threatening manner. Luke, who is a former Thai boxer, said he knew he had to do something.

“I could have easily just looked out of the window and not done anything,” Luke said. “I thought we’ve got to run towards it.”

Police stated that Nay appeared to have acted alone in the attack. Police also indicate that Nay had a thumb drive in his possession that “suggested he had some ideologies related to terrorism.” Authorities are not classifying the attack as terroristic since he has a lengthy history of mental illness.

The thumb drive reportedly had references to the Christchurch terror attack, which took place in March, the Daily Mail reported.

Law enforcement is now looking into the possibility that Nay escaped from a mental hospital before he committed this attack.