Hawaii Governor Couldn’t Calm Ballistic Missile Scare Because He Forgot His Twitter Password

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr

One would think in this digital age that communication between elected officials and the people they serve would be instantaneous. Send out a quick text or tweet for immediate dissemination of information. If only it was that easy. Gov. David Ige claimed it took him and his team so long to put the masses at ease during the supposed nuclear missile threat because he had forgotten his Twitter password.

On the morning of Jan. 13, Hawaii’s residents were in crisis mode after a mass text was sent informing them a ballistic missile was heading right for them. Thankfully, no one was injured, and it turned out that someone had hit the wrong button during a shift change.

Gov. Ige, of course, wanted to calm down the situation before it got any worse, but he had forgotten his Twitter password, according to the New York Post. “I have to confess that I don’t know my Twitter account log-ons and the passwords,” he said.

“So certainly that’s one of the changes that I’ve made. I’ve been putting that on my phone so that we can access the social media directly.”

Instead of the governor putting everyone’s mind at ease, it was up to the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency to issue another mass message informing citizens this was a false alarm.

According to Fox News, a Hawaii GOP gubernatorial candidate demanded that Ige resigns over the mishandling of the missile “crisis.” Republican John Carroll now refers to Ige as “Doomsday David.”

Residents and tourists scrambled for safety for 38 minutes until they were informed it was a false alarm. The governor says that changes have been made to ensure that a situation like this doesn’t happen again.

“I was in the process of making calls to the leadership team both in Hawaii Emergency Management as well as others. The focus really was trying to get as many people informed about the fact that it was a false alert,” he said.

The FCC has stated they will be looking into how the false alarm was sent in the first place.