News

Ford Announces North American Dealerships Will Only Offer 2 Cars

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr

On Wednesday, Ford announced that only two passenger cars will be offered through dealerships in North America. By 2020, “almost 90 percent of the Ford portfolio in North American will be trucks, utilities and commercial vehicles,” said the carmaker in a press release. In preparation, the Fiesta, Fusion, Taurus, a certain version of the Focus won’t be available locally.

The only passenger cars that will remain as part of Ford’s North American lineup, vehicles available through dealerships in the US and Canada, are the Mustang and the new Focus Active, a hatchback that is scheduled to make its debut in 2019.

However, the brand’s full range of crossovers, SUVs, and trucks will remain available.

“The company is also exploring new ‘white space’ vehicle silhouettes that combine the best attributes of cars and utilities, such as higher ride height, space and versatility,” the press released added

According to a report by CNN Money, “white space” refers to vehicles that don’t fit neatly into common categories.

Ford has previously suggested that it might fully retire a significant portion of its sedan portfolio. James Farley, Ford’s president of global markets, said earlier in the year that the vehicle manufacturer is “shifting from cars to utilities.”

Additionally, the company has redirected $7 billion in research funds away from cars and towards SUVs and trucks.

Ford isn’t the only car maker who has moved away from passenger vehicles. Over a year ago, Fiat Chrysler abandoned the Chrysler 200 and Dodge Dart.

General Motors has also scaled back production of the Buick LaCrosse, Cadillac ATS and CTS, and Chevy Cruze and Impala.

Ford’s SUV sales are expected to more than double worldwide and car sales have subsequently fallen, reflecting a possible change in what consumers want from a vehicle.

SUVs and trucks also have better margins, making them more profitable for vehicle manufacturers.