Five Dead After Woman’s False Police Report Resulted in High Speed Chase That Led to Massive Crash

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr

False reports of crimes often have dire consequences. Five people died in a car crash in September, after a young woman reported the car stolen. The car had not been stolen, but the driver ran from the police who were attempting to stop the car. Now the woman who made that call is set to appear before a judge.

This is a complicated case. Many of the details remain vague. Here’s what we know. Erica Leann Robinson reported “her” silver 2003 Acura stolen in September of 2017.

“On September 30 a Guilford County [North Carolina] sheriff’s deputy spotted the car, ran the plates and tried to stop it,” the Daily Mail writes.

The car did not stop. Instead, the driver ran from the police. The chase reached an estimated 130 mph, but the driver ran a traffic light and hit another car, a 2012 Kia.

Alyssa Mackenzie Bolick, 29 (above), and Stephanie Louise Warshauer, 32 (below), were in the Kia. Both died at the scene.

Deshon Lee Manuel, 42, Theresa Monique Kingcade, 34, and Bruce Wayne Hunt, 40 were in the Acura. Those three died as well. It is unclear who was driving, as all three were thrown from the vehicle.

There was a pet dog in the Kia, too, that survived the crash.

Assistant District Attorney Howard Neumann is charging Robinson with making a false police report, but not charging her in the deaths. This has angered many involved.

“I know everybody wants o pin something on somebody here, but we’ve got to stay within the confines of the law,” Neumann said.

“The charge is that she reported it stolen when it was not stolen.”

The false report is a misdemeanor. The maximum sentence is only 60 days in prison.

Here’s where it gets more complex. Robinson, the woman who made the call, is not the owner of the car. It belonged to her mother. The car had not been stolen, but no one is explaining how the three people in the Acura came to be in the car.

“We still don’t know the transaction that happened between the car and the people that had it,” Detective R Goad told the Greensboro newspaper.

To make things more complex, two of the three in the Acura had active warrants. Had the car been stopped by the police, they would have been arrested. That is a possible motive for their flight, but still doesn’t explain how they came to be in the car.