A 33-year-old popular social media fitness model died after a whipped cream canister exploded and hit her in the chest. The bizarre incident was announced to the public shortly after her death by her family in a heartfelt Instagram post. The family also used her death to warn people about the defective device that killed the model.
[Scroll Down For Video]
French fitness model Rebecca Burger had a strong social media following. Burger, who was known within the fitness blogging and competition community and has over 175,000 followers, passed away from what doctors cited as cardiac arrest after a whipped cream canister struck her in the chest.
“This is an example of the whipped cream siphon that exploded and hit Rebecca’s thorax, leading to her death,” her family wrote under an Instagram photo of the metal device. “To be clear: The dispenser that led to her death was sealed. Do not use this type of utensil! Tens of thousands of defective devices are still out there.”
Surprisingly, deaths related to whipped cream canister explosions are not uncommon. According to CNN, a French consumer group know as “60 Million Consumers,” stated that the pressurized devices have led to various injuries, such as loss of an eye and a chest fracture.
According to the BBC, a French man narrowly escaped death in a situation similar to Burger’s. “I had six broken ribs, and my sternum was broken. At the hospital, I was told that if the shock and blast had been facing the heart, I would be dead now,” the man explained to a local radio in 2013.
The manufacturer of the pressurized canister, Ard’time, recalled the type of canister that killed Burger in 2013 and destroyed them. They also claimed they did their best to reach consumers and inform them of the defect.
“Unfortunately, there are still lots of siphons of all brands that remain potentially dangerous as time passes,” the company said in a statement shortly after the announcement of Burger’s death.