Family of NYC Subway Bomber “Outraged” at How Aggressive Investigation Has Been

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr

Family members of the alleged ISIS-inspired subway bomber stated they were “heartbroken by the violence that was targeted at our city” after learning of the attack that took place on Monday morning. They also took various law enforcement agencies to task for what they say was a heavy-handed approach used by investigators.

The family of the suspect, identified as 27-year-old Akayed Ullah, also stated they were heartbroken over “the allegations made against a member of our family” in a statement read by Legal Director of the NY Chapter Council for Islamic Relations Albert Fox Cahn, according to a report by the New York Post.

“But we’re also outraged by the behavior of the law enforcement officials who held children as small as four years old out in the cold and who pulled a teenager out of high school classes to interrogate him without lawyer, without his parents,” the statement continued.

Family members continued to question the way the investigation was handled, saying, “These are not the sorts of actions we expect from our justice system.”

They added, “We have every confidence that our justice system will find the truth behind this attack and that we will, in the end, be able to learn what occurred today.”

Ullah, who was reportedly from Bangladesh, set off a homemade pipe bomb that was strapped to his body as he moved through a New York City commuter hub between a subway station and Port Authority Bus Terminal during Monday morning rush hour.

The suspect sustained burns when the explosive, which was described by New York Governor Andrew Cuomo as “amateur-level,” did not ignite fully. He was subsequently taken into custody.

Investigators believe it was intended to be a suicide bombing, but the device did not function as planned.

Three other victims, including a law enforcement officer, sustained minor injuries.

Ullah possessed a green card and, according to Yahoo News, lived with his mother, two brothers, and sister in Brooklyn.

The incident was captured on video through a security camera, including the moment of the explosion and images of a man lying on the ground after the attack.