MMA legend Conor McGregor has been charged with three counts of assault and one of criminal mischief after he attacked rival fighters in their tour bus Thursday. McGregor turned himself in Thursday evening. Two other fighters were injured and one won’t be available to fight this weekend, as planned.
“He’s still in custody, still at the police precinct until he’s removed to court this morning,” Thomas Antonetti, speaking on behalf of the NYPD said.
“Approximately 20 guys were apparently let in through the doors by the Mac Life guys, who were credentialed here,” UFC president Dana White told reporters.
“They opened the doors for them, through an entrance, they stormed the building, got down to the loading docks where the fighters were getting on the buses and started to attack the buses, throwing trash cans and dollies and things like that,” White added. “Broke one of the windows and cut Michael Chiesa real bad. He cut his head and cut his face.”
“[UFC fighter] Rose Namajunas was apparently almost hit. She’s super upset right now… Hurt one of our employees, broke one of our employee’s knuckles.”
In the video obtained by TMZ, McGregor can be seen running into frame chasing after a bus full of UFC fighters scheduled to fight Saturday. McGregor is seen throwing a dolly through the window of the bus.
One fighter, Michael Chiesa, was reportedly injured from the dolly hitting the window next to him. He’s out for Saturday. The bizarre act of rage seemed to stem from a press conference that took place earlier that morning in New York.
According to the New York Post, McGregor stormed into the venue with his entourage and began trying to start an altercation with fellow UFC fighter Khabib Nurmagomedov. Many simply took it as a “publicity stunt” as McGregor is not one to shy from the spotlight, but they were soon proven wrong when altercation apparently continued into the parking garage.
“Conor went bananas and put a beating on the van that we were in looking for Khabib,” a source told MMAJunkie. “A million security guards had to restrain him. Mike’s cut up now. He’s got marks on him, for sure. I don’t think too serious. Everything happened so fast, it was just like we got jumped.”
Amidst the mayhem, McGregor and his entourage reportedly ran out of the parking garage and hopped into a nearby SUV.
Dana White, the UFC President, spoke to an ESPN reporter and suggested that his superstar may be in more trouble than he may want to admit.
— Brett Okamoto (@bokamotoESPN) April 5, 2018
“They’re looking for him right now. His plane cannot take off, he cannot leave the state of New York with this warrant. He’ll be grounded. I’m assuming, eventually, if they don’t catch him, he’ll turn himself in,” White said. “I imagine he’s going to be sued beyond belief and… this is a real bad career move for him.”
McGregor did turn himself in. What happens next will determine McGregor’s status, for sure. As he’s not a U.S. citizen, he may have difficulty remaining or coming back into the country.