College Student Brazenly Stabbed to Death by Group of Thugs in Upper West Side Manhattan

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr

An all-female college was shaken to its core Wednesday afternoon when it was announced an 18-year-old student was stabbed to death in a savage robbery. The incident took place at Morningside Park when two men approached her and demanded money before they stabbed her numerous times in the stomach and fled.

Tessa Majors had only been in New York since August when her mother dropped her off for college at Barnard College. Majors, who was originally from Virginia, was seen on surveillance video jogging when the two men approached.

After she was stabbed, she crawled to a Columbia University security guard booth. Unfortunately, the guard was out doing rounds. When he arrived back at his booth, the guard found an unconscious Majors laying in a pool of her own blood.

Majors was rushed to a nearby hospital where she was pronounced dead. Police found Majors’ uncharged phone laying next to her as well as a butterfly knife, the Daily Mail reported.

It’s unclear if the weapon belonged to the assailants or to Majors. Law enforcement stated Majors had defensive wounds on her hands which would insinuate that the 18-year-old fought back.

According to The New York Post, there are several persons of interest, but no arrests have been made at this time. One person police focused on was a known robber in the area.

The unnamed 16-year-old was detained and questioned before being let go. He is known to wear a green jacket, and people in the area recalled seeing a man in a green jacket fleeing the scene. In addition to witness testimony, there was a trail of blood leading to the 16-year-old’s apartment, which police detailed as a “hub of criminal activity.”

Police believe Majors entered the park at 5:30 p.m., with the attack taking place shortly thereafter.

Majors celebrated her 18th birthday in May where her father posted a touching tribute to his daughter. “18 years ago today my life got redefined in all the right ways when this little bundle of fun came into the world,” he said. “I can’t wait to see what the next 18 years have in store.”

The parents are on the way to New York to identify the body.