California Gunman Who Rammed Through School Gates & Opened Fire on Students Identified

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr

Yet another mass shooting has left four people dead. The gunman opened fire after a dispute with his neighbors went violent, and Kevin Janson Neal, 43, stole a truck and went on a shooting spree. Neal was killed by police officers after he couldn’t gain access to an elementary school that he was attempting to enter.

The incident occurred in a rural area of northern California. It began at Neal’s residence, shortly before 8:00 am local time and lasted for 45 minutes.

Neal then drove through Rancho Tehama shooting at people, businesses and cars. He arrived at the elementary school, which quickly went into lock-down mode. Neal shoot more than 100 rounds at the school, and hit one child, Alejandro Hernandez , through a window of the building. That child was injured and taken to the hospital.

“I thought there was a car accident,” Stephanie Turner, a mother who was dropping off her kids, told The Sacramento Bee.

“I pulled into the school and heard gunshots. I told my kids to get down onto the floor. Then I saw a guy in the back of the school with a rifle. As soon as he saw us, he started shooting at us. I just took off.”

Neal wasn’t able to get into the school, though, and kept shooting for a while before he fled in another stolen car. Moments later, he was confronted by police. They engaged in a gun fight and Neal was shot dead.

Neal had a history of disagreements with the two neighbors he killed. In January of this year, Neal stabbed one of the women and was arrested. He was out on bail. The neighbors had taken out restraining orders on Neal.

Neal was facing charges of “second-degree burglary, assault with a deadly weapon, two counts of false imprisonment by violence, discharge of a firearm with gross negligence, possession of an assault weapon and misdemeanor battery,” The Daily Mail reports.

His bail had been set at $160,000, but that money was posted by his mother.

Tehama County Sheriff’s Deputies held a press conference Tuesday. Sheriff’s deputy Phil Johnston explained the timeline. “The initial call was shots fired with a man down; directly after that multiple 911 calls from various sources at multiple locations including the elementary school.”

“Essentially, with this individual, after the initial shooting, he took vehicle and went on a shooting rampage throughout the community.”

“Right now we have no known motive, we know of no real connection to any of the victims. Most of the victims in this case appear to be random selections.”