Baseball Legend Roy Halladay Dead at 40 After Crashing Airplane He Waited 2 Years to Purchase

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr

Retired baseball legend Roy Halladay has been confirmed as dead by a Flordia sheriff department after he crashed in the Gulf of Mexico. Halladay recently shared on his Twitter account that he had finally purchased a plane that he had waited two years to buy. He was the only person aboard the plane when it crashed. Halladay was only 40 years old.


The Pasco Sheriff Department, who confirmed his death in a press conference, said: “We are deeply saddened by the loss of this amazing and generous individual. Our hearts go out to Roy and his family.”

Halladay, who was a two-time Cy Young winner, played a majority of his prolific career for the Phillies. They also issued a statement regarding the death of their recently retired player.

“We are numb over the very tragic news about Roy Halladay’s untimely death,” they wrote. “There are no words to describe the sadness that the entire Phillies family is feeling over the loss of one of the most respected human beings to ever play the game. It is with the heaviest of hearts that we pass along our condolences to Brandy, Ryan and Braden.”

Halladay’s Twitter claims that he bought the plane ICON A5, a small amphibious light-sport aircraft, about a month ago. Little detail is available about the crash or whether it was human error or a mechanical failure.

One of Halladay’s last tweets was on Oct. 31, where he wrote: “I keep telling my dad flying the Icon A5 low over the water is like flying a fighter jet! His response …. I am flying a fighter jet!!”

The New York Daily News reported that Halladay became a pilot after he retired from baseball in 2013.

Halladay had a 16-year career as a professional baseball player in the major league. He ended his career with a 203-105 record and a 3.38 ERA. One of his proudest moments was after he pitched his first no-hitter game, Halladay recalled in a recent interview.

He leaves behind a wife of over 20 years and two children. The investigation as to what happened is currently underway.