News

Vlogger Tries to Prove Health Benefits of Eating Plant. Poisons Herself on Camera [VIDEO]

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr

A vlogger known as Miss Zhang poisoned herself during a live segment when she began eating what she thought was Aloe Vera. She was creating a video to discuss the health benefits of Aloe Vera, but accidentally purchased leaves from the Agave Americana plant, which is known to by highly toxic to humans, for the piece.

[Scroll down for video]

As reported by The Telegraph, the 26-year-old star of the video purchased the large leaves, which resemble the Aloe Vera plant, for a segment titled “Aloe Vera Feast.” She takes a few bites and makes comments to her live audience as she eats.

She is heard saying “yum” and “this is great,” but quickly realizes something is wrong.

“Oh, that tastes bitter. Really bitter,” said Zhang.

Zhang’s mouth quickly began to go numb, and she reportedly felt as though her throat was “on fire.”

She then quit the live stream and rushed herself to the hospital. Zhang was found to have burns and sores in her mouth, and medical professionals had to pump her stomach to remove the toxic materials.

Agave Americana is native to Mexico and is often grown as an ornamental plant for landscaping. Based on its resemblance to Aloe Vera, the Agave Americana plant is also referred to as American Aloe.

The plant contains multiple toxic compounds, including calcium oxalate raphides. Agave Americana is used in some food and drink preparations and is commonly used when making tequila, but it must be prepared properly to ensure it is safe to consume.

Aloe Vera, on the other hand, is generally considered safe for human consumption and is considered a popular health food trend. However, there is little scientific evidence that eating raw Aloe Vera offers the health benefits many people claim.