Video Shows Great White Attacking 14 Foot Kayak in California as Kayaker Swims For His Life

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr

Human encounters with sharks are rare, but they do happen. You are in their home after all. One California kayaker came face to face with a Great White shark after it attacked his red kayak. The heart-pounding ordeal was recorded by some on shore. If it wasn’t for the kayaker’s quick thinking, he would probably been severely injured or killed.

[Scroll Down For Video]

Brian Correiar was kayaking in his 14-foot red kayak through Monterey Bay, California, when he felt a massive “thud” and found himself being thrown through the air.

“It all started with a bang,” Correiar explained to National Geographic. “Suddenly the kayak was launched into the air and I fell halfway out of it. I began yelling,” he said.

Correiar, a scuba instructor, found half his body in the water while the other half was still in the kayak. He glanced at the end of his kayak and quickly came to the scary realization that a shark was gnawing on his transportation.

Initially, in shock, Correiar froze in a state of paralysis, but he quickly gathered his wits and pulled the other half of his body out of his boat and begin swimming to shore.

Bystanders on shore began recording the incident as Correiar was swimming away from the shark who was still attached to his kayak and thrashing around. In the video, you can see him swimming away in fear and periodically looking back to see if the shark was following.

As he swam, Correiar used his GPS rescue device to call the Coast Guard, but they had trouble hearing him while he was swimming.

“At this point, I was really nervous, I was sure I was done,” he told NY Daily News. “It was like a horror movie. The shark came toward me, dropped the kayak, then dove straight down below me where I couldn’t see it.”

Then, to Correiar’s relief, a small boat was passing by and he flagged them down. A family who was enjoying a day out on the water pulled Correiar aboard.

The Coast Guard arrived shortly after he was rescued and recovered the boat which had massive bite marks riddled throughout the front of it.

Even after facing a possibly deadly situation, Correiar plans to be back in the water very soon. “I’ll be back in the water in no time,” he said. “I’m planning on taking more safety classes so next time — if in the rare case something like this should ever happen again — I’ll be even more prepared.”