News

After Petition Clears 350,000 Studio Execs Announce Great News For “Last Man Standing”

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr

One of the top political news stories for the week has come from an unlikely source – the entertainment industry.

ABC made waves in conservative media this week when they canceled the television show, “Last Man Standing” starring former “Home Improvement” actor and Republican supporter Tim Allen. Many suspected the show was canceled for political reasons.

However, a petition circulated online quickly garnered over 350,000 signatures urging ABC to renew the show or for another network to pick it up.

The text of the petition states:

Despite consistently high rankings, especially considering the time slot in which it is aired, Tim Allen’s show “Last Man Standing” has been cancelled by the network on which it is aired, ABC.

Last Man Standing stands out in the sea of network television sitcoms. It is a show that appeals to a broad swath of Americans who find very few shows that extol the virtues with which they can identify; namely conservative values.

Last Man Standing was not just selling conservative ideals though, as some of the characters in the show are clearly of the liberal persuasion, yet the characters on the show all manage to get along and take care of one another, despite their politically opposed views. The show is about more than politics though, it is about family. In fact, politics is only a secondary part of the show, but one in which many Americans can readily identify.

Last Man Standing is one of the only shows on broadcast television, and the only sitcom, that is not constantly shoving liberal ideals down the throats of the viewers. And sadly, that is likely the real reason the show has been cancelled.

The intent of this petition/boycott is to attempt to get ABC to renew the show. With that in mind, I will no longer be watching any ABC shows. I have cancelled the DVR settings for the other ABC shows that I regularly watch. If you want to help try to save Last Man Standing, I encourage you to do the same. Even if you are not willing to boycott the network, but still want to save the show, please sign this petition and share it. If you do plan to boycott ABC, please say so when you sign. Let them hear our voices.

Allen posted the following message on his Twitter page shortly after the petition cleared 100,000 signatures (it’s currently looking like it might clear 150,000 sometime this evening):

Image 618

It would seem Allen was just as surprised as conservative viewers to learn that his show, which was doing fairly well in the ratings, had been abruptly canceled after a successful run.

Now, given the immense amount of media coverage the show has received along with the outpouring of support, the studio that produces the show, 20th Century Fox Television, might end up with a deal in place that would see the show land on a new network. According to a report from Variety:

Speaking to Variety Thursday, studio presidents Jonnie Davis and Howard Kurtzman said that they were surprised by ABC’s decision to pull the plug on the show.

“That’s the one that’s really an open sore right now,” Davis said. Kurtzman added, “We really were expecting a pickup. The fact that we didn’t get a pickup was a surprise and a disappointment. I think no one was more disappointed than Tim Allen, such a huge star with such a huge following.”

But the series, which was ABC’s second most-watched comedy last season behind “Modern Family,” may not be dead. Asked whether “Last Man Standing” would be shopped to other networks, Kurtzman said, “We’re starting to explore that. If it’s not going to go forward at ABC, of course Jonnie and I are hopeful that we can find another home for it.”

And the studio heads are encouraged by the fan support that they’ve seen for the show since ABC confirmed its cancellation last week. “We know how passionate our fans are, and we’re seeing that now,” Davis said.