A missing persons investigation in Pennsylvania has taken a grim turn. The remains of one of the missing men was found in a mass grave, more than 12 feet deep, that had been hidden on a farm belonging to the suspected killer, who is in custody after he tried to sell a car that belonged to one of his suspected victims.
[Scroll Down for Video]
The town of Solebury, Pennsylvania has been rocked by the news that the victims were found on the farm that belongs to the family of 20-year-old Cosmo DiNardo. DiNardo is believed to have murdered four men last week: Dean A. Finocchiaro, 19, Jimi Tar Patrick, 19, Mark Sturgis, 22, and Tom Meo, 21.
On Wednesday, DiNardo tried to sell the car of one of the missing men, and authorities were able to arrest him. He had been arrested earlier in the week on weapons charges (DiNardo’s diagnosis of schizophrenia prevents him from legally owning firearms), but his family posted bail. Bail has been set at $5 million in cash.
After numerous tips pointed to the family farm, authorities used cadaver dogs to locate the deep grave. Late Wednesday evening, they announced they had positively identified the remains of Dean Finocchiaro.
“I can tell you on multiple different occasions, on multiple different accounts, from multiple different people, including myself – Cosmo has spoken about weird things like killing people and having people killed,” Eric Beitz, 20, told Philly.com.
“Everybody you talk to about this guy, you hear he’s mentally unstable.”
Matthew Weintraub, District Attorney for Bucks County, has said they have more remains that are being identified, but he hasn’t said how many more. “This painstaking process will go on, we’re not done yet,” he said. “This is a homicide, no question about it.
“We’re going to bring each and every one of these lost boys home to their families.”
The Daily Mail put together a timeline of the events:
- July 5: Jimi Tar Patrick, 19, is seen for the last time. He appears to be the first of the men to go missing.
- July 7: Dean Finocchiaro, 19, Mark Sturgis, 22, and Tom Meo, 21, are all seen for the last time.
- July 9: All four men have been reported missing, and a search warrant is executed at a home in Solebury Township, where investigators find Meo’s car.
- July 10: Officials search a Solebury Township farm owned by Antonio and Sandra DiNardo. Their son, 20-year-old Cosmo DiNardo is taken into custody on firearms charges that appeared to be unrelated to the missing persons case.
- July 11: DiNardo is released on bail.
- July 12: Authorities find human remains of multiple bodies on the farm. The remains of Finocchiaro are identified. DiNardo is arrested for a second time and charged with trying to sell a vehicle belonging to one of the missing men.
DiNardo is now in custody, and unlikely to be released. Yet there’s another interesting aspect that is worth noting. DiNardo’s arrest on Monday, the one stemming from the gun charge, will certainly play a part in any litigation to come. The charge was four months old. Philly.com is reporting that the DA’s office sent documentation to police authorizing his arrest back on June 21, well before these four men went missing.
The original charge was dismissed back in May by a magisterial district judge.