News

Pro Tip: Don’t Use Microwave to Make Hard-Boiled Eggs. It’s Going to End Badly [VIDEO]

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr

Have you ever tried to cook a hard-boiled egg in the microwave? If so, you realized they are ticking time bombs. This was discovered after a customer at a restaurant had a hard-boiled egg explode in his mouth after it had been microwaved. The customer allegedly lost hearing and suffered from burns.

[Scroll Down For Video]

Experts were then asked to complete an experiment to figure out why this happened. The experiment consisted of boiling 100 eggs in a microwave. According to the Daily Mail, the experts indicated that the sound of one of the eggs exploding was consistent with having a jet engine 100 feet away from you.

But what causes them to explode? Are the eggs to blame or is the microwave to be blamed? Well, actually, neither, according to experts. Instead, the hot water is the contributing factor that makes an egg a bomb instead of a healthy treat, the New York Times reported.

Anthony Nash and Lauren von Blohn were part of the team of experts who conducted the test. In their expert witness testimony, Dr. Nash said: “We needed to quantify the peak sound pressures from an exploding egg so we could compare it to hearing damage risk criteria.”

They came to the conclusion that standing one foot from an egg that exploded would be the equivalent of 86 decibels and up to 133 decibels.

But, to clarify, the two did explain that the probability of this happening and causing the severe damage that the plaintiff claimed would be a “low probability.”

Dr. Nash added, “On a statistical basis, the likelihood of an egg exploding and damaging someone’s hearing is quite remote. It’s a little bit like playing egg roulette.”

Their test only found that one in three eggs would explode when pierced by a sharp object. There are a litany of videos on Youtube showing people blowing up eggs whenever they wanted, but Dr. Nash indicated that “those experiments had been done by non-scientists who were casually detonating eggs in a microwave.”

In the end, the man who sued the restaurant settled out of court and the results of the tests can now be used to warn people everywhere about the dangers of exploding eggs.