A 23-year-old Oregon man and his sister took a trip to one of the natural wonders of the world. Unfortunately, the trip ended tragically.
Early reports simply stated that a man died in the park, but thanks to the Freedom of Information Act, more grim details of the cause and the aftermath have come to light.
[Scroll Down For Video]
Back in June, Colin Nathaniel Scott was looking for a “hot pot,” which entails getting burned by a natural hot spring. According to a recently released report from park officials, Scott and his sister went to an unauthorized area near the Norris Geyser.
This is where tragedy struck. Scott bent over to slide his finger into the acidic water to test the temperature but lost his balance, causing him to fall into the spring. It was reported he died almost instantaneously.
Rescuers were alerted and found his body floating inside the spring, but because of a lightening storm in the area they were unable to get Scott’s body out. Rescuers came back the next day to fish out his body but no remains were found – not even a sandal. His body had dissolved in the churning, acidic waters.
For anyone that is unaware, beneath Yellowstone National Park resides one of the largest magma chambers in the world. Additionally, the water bubbles up from deep underground, picking up sulfuric acid as it rises to the surface.
Deputy Chief Ranger, Lorant Veress, speculated as to why they were in the unauthorized zone citing, “They were specifically moving in that area for a place that they could potentially get into and soak.” Veress added, “I think they call it hot potting.”
Reports have indicated that Scott’s sister was recording on her cell phone when he fell in, but the park service won’t release the video.