Emily Petrozza, a 21-year-old resident of Newington, Connecticut, woke up a few days ago with a poison ivy rash on her arm. That’s typically nothing to worry about. A good shower with lots of soap removes the oils that can spread the rash.
[Scroll Down for Video]
Petrozza didn’t know where she contracted the rash. She takes care of feral cats who might have transferred the irritant, and she and a friend had recently been fishing. As this wasn’t her first experience with poison ivy, she wasn’t too concerned.
Then something happened that was much more alarming. On Sunday evening, she found “little red bumps” on her eyelids. By Monday morning, Petrozza couldn’t open her eyes. Through the swollen slits, she saw a completely transformed face in her bathroom mirror.
“I didn’t recognize myself,” she told Buzzfeed. “I could see a little bit but my eyes were so swollen that it hurt to keep them open.”
Worried that home remedies might not be enough for this situation, she took a trip to the local doc-in-the-box. She had to have a friend escort her down, as she couldn’t see well enough to take herself.
Poison Ivy is one of those things that can sneak up on you. If you’re not aware of you surroundings, and don’t know that you’ve come in contact with the plant, you can inadvertently spread it. It can get into pet fur, or your clothes. People who burn brush often have allergic reactions to the smoke.
Calamine lotion is one of the most popular treatments. Others opt for bathing in oatmeal. However you approach it, it will eventually fade on its own, though it can leave you with sores and scars in extreme cases. Remember–leaves of three, let it be.
As for Petrozza, she’s taking it in stride. She see’s the incident as funny–or she does now that the swelling has gone down.